If your windows computer is running one of our standard installations (*) and you have saved your files in one of your profile folders (Documents, Desktop, Pictures), there is an easy way to restore deleted or previous versions of your files:
- Open Windows Explorer (Press Windows + e)
- Locate the file.
- Right-click on the file.
- Choose "Restore previous versions".
- Click on the tap "Previous Versions".
- Wait for the server to find previous versions og the file.
- Choose whether to open, copy ore restore the file.
You may receivce the message, that there at no previous versions of your file available. That can indicate one of two things:
- The file has existed such a short period of time on the system, that there has not been taken backup of it yet.
- All versions of the file, which are in the backup system , are 100 % the same as the active file.
If you need to restore a file, which has been deleted, simply right-click on the folder and date on which the file was originally saved.
If the missing file was placed in the root of your Documents or Desktop, your have to choose these locations from "This PC", not from your Favorites.
At Aalborg University we keep files on our backup-servers for 2 months (3 months for ADM-domain).
To check this:
- Click at the Windows-button in the lower left corner.
- Choose 'All Programs'.
If you at the bottom of the list of programs find 'AAU it Services', your computer has a standard installation.